Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Danes for a Day

So... as I promised... things are looking to be more interesting. Today was quite different. So... a little history of my school first. We had this special partnership with the school in Denmark a few years ago, but for some reason or another (word was that these Danes just kinda sucked and were unruly a bit) we stopped our partnership last year. So... this year they came and just asked to be shown around by some of our students. Wait... I have to tell you something about this class of Danish students first. My students are fairly well kept and clean cut students. So... as you can imagine the beginning of the film "Earnest Goes to Camp" with the bunch of riff raffs all dressed to kill... yea, that's what this was like. Some in bling, some smoking, some dressed thuggish... So... one of my classes was chosen to take them around the school and talk with them for a few hours and then we went and played badminton. And the supervisors of this event from our school were me and another English teacher. But... at the beginning of the day was quite hectic for me, cuz at the time the Danes were to come, I was to teach a class... well not just one class, but a class combined (which is twice as many students). Luckily, they were pacified by some Simpsons while I ran back and forth trying to show some people around the school and contain my class and do whatnot. Finally my class was let out and I was able to devote my attention to the Danes. So we went to play badminton for a few hours. It was here where my students and their students were able to finally overcome their shyness and start talking a bit. It was pretty cool. After badminton, some of my students were showing the other students around the town or wherever and having a good time (for all i know). And we were treated to a lunch at the hotel of the Danes. It was a nice day.

But then I had to go back to school and correct some standardized tests that our students took for English. It was quite not so much fun cuz it was such a nice day today and I was stuck in the office doin all this crappy work pro-bono. But I finished and then taught one more class and did some more preparation and came home and did stupid normal things. But then was the interesting thing still to come. In the evening, the Danish students invited us to come to their hotel where they would put on a disco for us and them. It was quite nice and I only went for a bit, but I was astonished, surprised, and quite happy when i saw about half of my students there. It was fun to see everything in full swing just as had been hoped for. Our students talking with their students. After a little while of speaking more with the Danish teachers and my students and their students, I had to call it a night and head home. So... that's my day of content fulfillment. I hope that tomorrow is more relaxing. And... maybe after today (which might have retied our partnership with them) i'll see these nice teachers next year if we have our exchange program that we had previously had a few years ago. Who knows... maybe I can get hooked up with a free trip to Denmark... Til then, peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger TomS said...

hey dude,

I read that the president of Czech called global warming a "religion". Just reading about your country made think of you and the good times we had. Sounds like things are going good over there by reading your blog.

Eat the fatty.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home