Monday, October 13, 2008

The Turnpike


In Oklahoma we have this highway that you have to pay money for every time you drive on it. It's the main connection from Tulsa to OKC. It's nice and really fast, but there is the problem of having to pay for it every time you go on it. The cost is approximately three dollars and fifty cents.

I went to Tulsa last weekend to hang out with my family a bit and it was a great time. I got to spend time with my nephews, talked on the phone to a friend and watched movies with my mom. But all that aside (that's not the cause for a story). I made it to Tulsa ok, but the problem was going back home.

Sunday morning I headed off and as soon as I got on the road, I realized that perhaps I didn't have the mandatory amount of money to drive on the highway home. As I was driving, I started to count my money (not a good idea to do when you're driving on the highway, but nevertheless...) and I finally counted out that I had three dollars and 44 cents. I needed only six more cents. So as I was still driving on the highway, I looked around my car. I reached in all sorts of places and yet, I couldn't find anything... :(

I finally came to the toll booth and I was thinking to myself... "So many people drive through this each day that they must have run across this problem before. They must accept credit card or something. I pull up and the guy asks me for my money. I ask if they accept card and he says no. I then proceed to tell him that I am lacking 6 cents. He hesitantly accepts my money and puts it in the register and lets me through. Before leaving I apologetically ask, "Is it ok?" he begrudgingly answers, "I GUESS so...". Really rude. I drove off. But i was a little upset because if he was upset about it or didn't want to accept it, I would have accepted responsibility for my actions. I had realized that it was my fault and that I would have to pay the consequences. But he just acted a bit rude and let me go on through, like he had to. But he DIDN'T have to. So if he wants to let me through, he should have acted a bit nicer to me. At least that's what I think...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home