Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Spiteful Experience

I visited the doctor several months ago because i was all out of contacts and i needed a new prescription for glasses. I wanted to go here so as to avoid paying lots of money in America for a visit to the eye doctor and to get some contacts... enough that would last me for a while. It was a funny ordeal the first time, but I managed and I got my glasses a week later and I was happy, but my contacts he said would be a month. With my glasses, the prescription is perfect, left eye 7.5 diatribes, right eye 7 diatribes. I can see beautifully, after one month, the doctor, who said he'd call me when my contacts came in, never called me. I was shy, so I waited a few more weeks to call him. "Yea! Of course they're in, come and get them," he said.

I went there and he told me I should try them out and see what I thought. I put them in and said that they were really pretty good, but my left eye, he had 7 diatribes and not 7.5. I told him that I needed something a bit stronger, but that they were really good. He gave me this pair and told me to come back in a month (2 weeks before I leave). I said... ok, no problem. And thanked him and left.

As I told you in the last post, I went there on Monday and he told me that he had the right eye, but that he lost the left eye. God, why does this have to be so difficult. You only have one responsibility! My contacts! It's not like he's a supermarket. It's just one small little stupid office. How is there even enough room in there to lose something. But oh well... didn't matter. So... I went back yesterday and told the lady (who still isn't able to recognize the only foreigner who comes more often than anyone to pick up their contacts) that I had an appointment and I needed to pick up my contacts. This lady explained me that these contacts can only be used for a month. And... she gave me this small little box... I looked perplexed cuz it looked just as big as the box that had only my right eye contacts when i was there on Monday... I asked her, "Uh... excuse me, how many are in here?" She replied, "two pair." Awesome... I waited all this time, 3 months, for them to give me two months worth of contacts, because the stupid doctor lost my full set of contacts. Hm... I like how they do things here. And then the doctor who was busy with someone else came out and apologized and told me he was sorry, but if i wasn't leaving, they'd have more time to get me my contacts, but as it is, they can't. This is the best they could do... A lovely story, isn't it... :)

But that's not the end of the story, I paid them a lot of money for only two months of contacts and left. (I guess it was 3 months worth since i didn't have to pay for the contacts that he gave me a month before while I was waiting for these contacts to come in, but that's beside the point). So... I came home... and I decided that I wanted to have a look at these contacts. And as it be, I waited actually more than a month for him to change me contacts from 7 diatribes to... what's that?... yes, that's right... if you can read the picture, they finally gave me 2 months worth of contacts that are actually weaker than the ones that I had even previously ordered. 6.5 diatribes



What's the moral of the story? When you need to go to the doctor... make the experience as short as possible. Accept less and don't complain, or you'll be waiting months to get actually even less than you had to start with. :D

Good story though, huh? It's all really funny, but oh well. It'll be better than nothing.

One funny thing, the doctor was kind enough to write on my contacts (as you can see) "LEFT" as to help me out to decipher which contacts were for which eye. Wow! That was really such a nice thing for him to do! I really appreciate that. He knows I'm American and that I don't speak Czech very well. Hm... so why didn't he ever try to explain one of the difficult things to me in English... no no... or even one of the simple things. Or just say ANYTHING in English! :D And then he writes LEFT on my contacts. :D You can't help but smile at the whole experience. :D

Another funny thing is that there are supposed to be 3 pairs in the box, but they opened the box from the side (in the picture, you can see that one of the sides is opened) and took one pair out! :D I really just don't get it! :D but he explained to me that I was only paying for 2 pairs, and that I wouldn't pay the normal price. (oh good, he's such a kind man).

1 Comments:

Blogger Peta said...

Ohhh, I really feel sorry for your experience. I would want my money back until they don't give me the right thing. But you don't have the time, I know. Most of the time I'm glad that our health service is almost free but sometimes I wish it was payed and better quality. I wish the awesome doctor House could come make it better :))

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home