Sunday, February 01, 2009

Nights Worth the Story

As time goes by, memories are made. As memories are made, people start to see good things and bad things that they didn't once before see. The past week or two has been marked with meetings of several different friends and many innumerable long nights. Let me take you back to a few of them.

The first one I was meeting some adult students that I became quite close with the past year for bowling. Of course, I won, as I always do, but as the night got later, and as the venue changed on multiple occasions and as the attendance of the group slowly dissipated, the night never really seemed to die down. It really never does with this group. But before I knew it, I got offered a job by my friend to be the token American in his garden making business and an invitation to join them on their Thai vacation. But after hearing their offer and doing some quick math, I realized that my salary would hardly be enough to live off of let alone to save enough for a Thai vacation. Oh well... maybe they'll up the stakes a bit. :)

In one of them, I was celebrating a birthday of a student with her class. It was a class which started studying at the school the same year as I and it's the class with which I have probably experienced the most things with and enjoyed interesting moments, some good, some not so good, some quite awkward, but nevertheless, moments. I was speaking with one of the students and although we never had many good talks, she was always a part of our experiences and after a really good talk with her, she let me know what an impact my friendship has meant to them, and it was a really happy evening.

And last night, I was in Prague with Joseph and my friend Stephanie and we were having a good time, starting with a depressing movie, then followed with a walk across town to a pizza place which has become frequented by us incessantly in the past 4 years. A bit pricy, but the quality is unmatched by any other in Prague. Though the only pizza in Kralupy is better. Anyways, we were walking after dinner and Joseph found on the ground, off the main square, 1000 crowns (or 50 bucks) which made as a late Christmas present. We took that money and proceeded to indulge and enjoy the night a little further at the next venue.
Following this venue, we started walking around Prague again as to decide to what would be the next desirable location, for none of the weary had to be home anytime soon. We just had to make the last train a bit past midnight. So as we were walking, the snow started to fall, and continue to fall it did. As we got off the beaten track, the snow was clearly starting to cover the ground. And after the view of a gorgeous church, and a well placed tackle of an intruder into the church's gardens (joseph) we digressed onto our next location.
After some moments there, we realized that we needed to get back as to take the last train back home. For if we missed it, we wouldn't be able to take another one until 430 in the morning. That would mean 4 more hours of finding something to do. We walk into the train station as we always do, only to not find our train on the board. I run to the ticket office and as what's up, and she says that it's leaving from the other station in 5 minutes. Now, let me relay to you what this means. After a full night of relaxing and hanging out, now we have to make it to a train station in five minutes which is clearly more than 5 mintues away, but we decided to try for it anyways. So... it's almost 1230am, and snow has now covered the cobblestone streets, and there are two guys, who clearly aren't in the kind of shape to run as hard as you can for 5 minutes to a train station which is probably about a bit farther than half a mile away.
So we were off, I got to a quick lead and I didn't look back, as my partner trailed me by perhaps a hundred meters or more when it was all said and done. I reached the train station, ran through it, up the escalator, saw that the train was still on the board and ran through the gates to gate 5 (it had to be one of the last ones). I run up the stairs and see it still there. I am dead, officially. I stand at the entrance and wait for a about 10 seconds and then the conductor starts yelling at me to get on. I look around and finally spot him. I tell him to wait a minute for my friend. Joseph finally comes and we get on and I felt like a ghost. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I die right there, should I go throw up in the bathroom? Does this train even have a bathroom? So I decided to revert to option 3 and just fell asleep. As some old students got on the train, I was glad that Joseph knew them better than I so I let them be and they as well to me the same.
We got home and the night of adventure had finally been wrapped up. Tonight should be a bit less exciting due to the fact that we will be not making the last train, yet the first one in hopes of some good times with the Super Bowl and some friends. Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home