Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Epic of the Green Beer


We thought the day would never come. We waited in anticipation for weeks, for months (or so it seemed), and as the day grew closer and closer, our hearts started beating faster and faster... well... maybe it wasn't that much of an excitement, but you could imagine if it were. The day had finally come for the "Green Beer". In honor of the Thursday before Easter, which Czechs call "Green Thursday", the local pub next to my place was offering green beer. What an experience. It really drew a lot of customers I think, and it was definitely something that was making everyone excited.

Then we got the green beer finally. Eh... not bad, but the other beer they had was better. So, that was it. One big green beer and the excitement had rushed out of my heart. And back to the normal stuff it was. But you see now, the story doesn't end here. It's almost like a fairy tale actually.

Everytime we went back to the pub, after Green Thursday, we were being pressed to have the green beer. Apparently, they just couldn't get rid of it. I, every time, refused it, but was always offered it first before all others. For weeks, nay, months, after, there was green beer. It was like the green beer that never went away. Everywhere I looked, green beer, green beer, green beer. I couldn't get it out of my thoughts, out of my dreams. It was haunting me! So finally, me and Joseph went in there last night and I was going to conquer my fear. I walked right up to the owner, waiting for him to offer me the green beer... he didn't. He offered me my usual kind... I, perplexed, got up the courage to tell him NO! I want the Greenest beer you have. That's right, the greenest beer you have. He looked up at me, and I swear I saw a tear in his eye. He slowly looked up at me, and it was at that moment I knew. I would never be haunted by the green beer again. The owner's mouth opened, and those fateful words I'll never forget... "We're all out." A little piece of my heart broke right then and there. As I turned around, I walked with my head down to my table. As I passed a table of a couple with green beer, horns grew from their heads and they were mocking me as they finished the last two pints from the green keg.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it. Exaggeration to any part may have been used for theatrical expression ONLY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home