Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Train Experience in Romania

As I have been sitting here on the train from Budapest to Brasov (a journey that will no doubt take up at least a fifth of my entire life when it's all said and done), we stop just after about 3 hours or less of traveling and a most perplexing things happens.

Several people get on... but that's not the perplexing thing. I'm not sure how many are in the hoard, but it could be as many as hundreds, but it seemed to be only more like 2 people, an elderly couple, and they kept bringing on board these grocery bags. But they didn't have groceries in them and they looked to be heavy. And then they started stacking them above the seats. I thought this to be quite strange because I was thinking, why would they stack them if they could just put them next to each other... I mean seriously, they're only three bags. (Sidenote: I'm at the Romanian border! About to cross for the first time into the land of the true Romans :D ). Anyways, back to the real story. So I was thinking... three bags, why do they need to stack them, they look as if they'll fall if you stack them. Then, they started bringing more. Two by two, as if the train were Noah's Ark and the boxes were different kinds of animals, they came on board. And two by two, they heaved them up on top above the heads of their seats.

They quickly noticed that they were going to have to start using other space, so before the tops were full, they were already putting them under their chairs and next to their feet and behind the chairs. I was confused because I thought that they could still use the top part, but then i thought that they were just tired of heaving them up so high. But after they had occupied all of the floor space near and around them, they continued to find more and more space which was up top. And then they started taking them to other parts of the train. And then they had just their normal bags as well. In total, I have counted at least 30 of these strange bags, and I'm sure I had to have missed about 10 or so, so that's 40 bags! How did they get them all here? How are they getting them home!? WHAT IS IN THEM!!!????

(Anyways, maybe you can help me out a bit. Here's a pic of most of the bags. You can see them up top, at her feet, and that red one is one of several they'd put behind the seats.)

Gosh, I'm so curious as to what kind of ungodly things could be in these bags. Maybe they'll open one of them up, but probably not. And since I don't understand Romanian or Hungarian (whichever country these ruffians are from) I can't even eavesdrop as to what could possibly be in these mystery boxes. For what kinds of goods were these strange people using this public train as their cargo ship? It's something that we will have to be content with never knowing. Can I handle it? Yea, I really don't care that much.

Frankly, I'm more interested in how long it's gonna snow for. It's been snowing for 2 days straight now and there is a sizable amount of snow on the ground, and with seven hours left on this train ride of doom (I'm just kidding, it's actually been pretty comfy thus far) it doesn't show any sign of letting up. I'm sure glad I packed my hiking shoes and not my tennis shoes. I guess we'll see if I am as glad about that when I'm at the southern coast in Turkey in a few weeks.

PS. Oh... it was pretty cool, the guy just opened up a bottle of wine with no more than a knife. He dug it out and then pushed the remaining into it. It was great

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home