Monday, March 02, 2009

Turkish Delight... not so much...

I met up with my friend Ben in Istanbul for a 6 day tour of Turkey. Our first stop was Cappadocia, but by a dirty smelly night bus with lots of ugly Turkish people. Coming into this bus, i literally hadn't slept for the last two nights, and this night would be one to remember. I was hoping i'd be so tired that i'd just fall right to sleep, and it was somewhat so at the beginning.

We sat down in our seats in the middle of the bus with no room in front of us, cuz the middle door was there, so, where to put our feet, or our stuff. My satchel was a bit bigger, so I thought, no problem, I'll just put it under my seat, there's no one sitting behind me anyways. After sleeping for an hour, I woke up because I was thirsty, I grabbed for my bag to get my water. I pulled it up only to realize that my worst fear had just become reality. My computer was GONE! Oh no, where was it? Maybe it just fell out. I scrambled to the floor to look under but to no avail. I looked inside my bag, and after some searching, I realized that all my power cords were missing also. Ok, someone definitely stole it, but who? Had anyone gotten off yet? I don't think so. The only person sitting behind me at all was the bus attendant. But he couldn't have possibly done it, could he have? Yea, he coulda. I told him, though he spoke no english and he started searching. He wanted me to sit down and do nothing while he did it. I said no, I look too. I used a lot of signals with him. He then said that we would look in a few hours at our first stop. I told him NO, we look now. So... after about ten more minutes of searching, he motioned to me and I came to him and he pointed on the floor half way up the bus under one of the seats layed my computer. I was so shocked and happy I gave the little thief a huge hug. He seemed perplexed but i didn't care.

Next order of business was the cables for my computer, 2 mp3 players, phone, and battery charger. But he refused and resisted adamently and I looked for a few more hours but again to no avail and in the end, there was nothing I could do. What I DID have still were things such as: computer, both mp3 players, phone, camera, everything of real importance. I am still a bit bummed, but I know that it coulda been a lot worse, and I'm just thankful that I have some of my most irreplaceable things. Now that's a story I'll remember, and never again will I leave my bag from my sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home