Monday, June 12, 2006

The Krum

Went down south this weekend for some fun in the second hottest tourist spot of Czech Republic, boasting the second biggest castle in CZ and the mighty Vltava River. Didn't really do a whole lot actually, it was a time to relax one last time with myAmerican friends and just kick back and forget about school and have fun. Our big event of the weekend was when we went, on Saturday, on a canoe trip down the Vltava. It's one of the highlights of the entire year, but, as you could imagine, something went wrong. What? Well, if you haven't been keeping up with the weather forecast in Central Europe, it has been freakin cold and horrible. Around 50ish constantly, in the lower half also, and rainy and cloudy and just not fun!! It's June for goodness sakes!! So, we arrived at our drop-off spot at around noonish and we were set for a 6 hour journey through the cold cloudy skies in Southern Czech. Boy was I excited. But it was a good time, at least most of it. We took our sweet time, and stopped every so often for a drink here and there, and after a few hours we stopped for quite a long lunch. During lunch, it downpoured like none other and it was really a disapointing time. But we left right when it stopped, and wouldn't ya know it, it stopped raining and the sun came out. So, we rowed and rowed and rowed for several more hours and we had to go down a few little chutes as well. Well... all but one. One was too bad, that we needed to portage across it, but after that, I regretted the decision. (The last half hour proved disastrous for me, here's why). On the portage, I fell into the freezing water and banged the heck out of my legs and it was really a frustrating time for myself actually. I was wet and all my stuff was also and i didn't even go down the fall. DANGIT. Oh well, so it was still sunny, thankfully and so we were paddling, and whoa! What's that?!? It's a big willow tree and it is sucking us towards it and there's no way out. No problem, I think I just saw a canoe go through it without problems, so, it will be interesting maybe,yea? NO!! So, we head into it, and I see this huge mammoth log hanging, and I just think... death. So, we near it, and I just take cover... but apparently, it wasn't quite enough. BOOM. Right in the back of my head. Needless to say,I was fairly pissed for the remaining 15 minutes of the float. Fortunately, it was at the dead end though. Wow, what a crazy time, but it was really a lot of fun just chillin and floatin down the river. Good weekend, and I got just a few more weeks here until I head home for the summer. It's comin, ready or not. Talk to you all soon. Hit me up. PeaceYea, this is aat the end of the trip, don't i look just really happy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Hey, no idea if you're gonna get this -- but your OU email isnt working any more. What's the alternative?

And oh yea - whats with your czech footballer boyz? Talk about a schoolin' -- wow, 3 to zippo. Dumb question, but were you cheerin for the Yanks or your new people?

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

count your blessings though. At least you didn't have a 250lbs dad in the middle of the canoe on a stool with a 35mm around his neck afraid he would die if the canoe tumped...coulda been worse. much love, Rennie

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

coulda been worse...you coulda had a 250lbs dad on a stool, in the middle of the canoe, with a 35 mm around his neck, scared to death of dying if the canoe tumped.

much love, brother.

7:22 PM  
Blogger TomS said...

you do look quite chiper. I've always wanted to do some rafting, but with out the getting smacked in the head part of course.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home