Monday, May 14, 2007

The Curse of Badminton

So... this is a short, but very necessary post. I was introduced over a year ago to a wonderful sport with the name of "Badminton". Some of you all may have heard about it (You know... it's the sport that you see the Chinese people playing when you walk into the gym and you laugh at them cuz it looks really stupid.) Well, yea, that's me now, and at the beginning of the year, I even got my own Badminton racket. Aren't I a dufus? And... regularly all year (sometimes twice a week, sometimes twice a month) I have been playing and playing, and I must admit, I'm getting quite a lot better, if I do say so myself. But, my opponent with whom I have played against year in and year out, has ALWAYS (might I note an extra emphatic ALWAYS) beaten me. Yea, at the beginning, I totally sucked and he killed me every time. I was usually happy if I got a few points. But now, it's usually quite a showdown every time, and for the last month or so, every time we play, it's rather close. And on several occasions I've come within 2 points (19-21 being the final score), but for some strange reason (I like to refer to it as my personal own curse) I'm not able to finish. I've tried everything! And it still doesn't work... (well, actually the only thing I've tried is getting new shoes... but I really had to cuz my dog ate the toes out of my old ones and when I'd play, my toes would come out of the shoe and it doesn't really help me out that much. Imagine running around and playing in sandals... ) But I still fared (or is it faired?) quite well as I have so previously stated. My day is coming though. Mark my words! Now you listen to me! Vojta!!! Listen up! One of these days, I'm gonna think of some devious trick to play on you and snatch that "World Champion's Belt" right out of your hands. You're not even gonna know what hit ya. (Just kiddin man. I like playin and lookin forward to playin again. I just gotta learn to finish. But it will be nice when we play and I can actually win a few times. I'll maybe feel like I'm on Cloud 9 or something).
Vojta, do you see the fury in my eyes? Be careful... be very very careful.

That's all for now. Talk to you all soon. I'm comin to Tulsa on Saturday, so please email me, and let's hang out. Bye bye

3 Comments:

Blogger Peta said...

Don't give up. You have one more year to go. Maybe try to give Vojta's shoes to Benji. I guess that might work :)

Anyway, I'm leavin this place to provide a space for the invitations from Tulsa to come.

peace,
Peta

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Zach r u still in Tulsa-OK?
If so i want to invite you to play badminton with us every Saturday at 7 PM. Place at Victory Christian School (Across ORU Praying Hand). For more info you can check on our website www.vccsports.org

Peace

2:56 AM  
Blogger eebahgum! said...

I know how you feel. When I first started playing competition doubles I went 18 weeks in a row, three matches a night before I finally was in a winning game. There were so many close games but I seemed to be programmed for defeat, worrying about the end result if we were leading at 11 points.

Just play each point on its on merits, and play the percentage shots rather than trying to be clever. In singles mix the pace around, don't move too early when receiving, and practice faking, i.e. looking like you're going for the jump smash deep, but dropping cross-court instead.

Once you get your first win, more will come easily, I assure you.

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home