Sunday, July 15, 2007

Telc and my Holiday





So... as I've already mentioned, I travelled around the Czech Rep. for a week of my summer holiday this summer. And along with Hradec Kralove (Hradets Krauloavay), I visited the small quaint beautiful town of Telc (telch). If You don't know anything about Telc, let me tell you about it. It's really beautifui and its town square is so beautiful that it is a protected site by UNESCO.

Here you get a little glimpse of what it really looks like. Anyways, we were there for 4 days actually, and it was really awesome. One of my friends, before I left, told me that a few hours is enough for the place, and then you can move on. The square was also under reconstruction at the time also for him. So I was a little reluctant at first as to what the heck I'd do there for 4 days, but it worked out. I really don't think that a few hours would be enough cuz the place is just so beautiful, it takes at least a day to soak in. And they had a beautiful park and beautiful ponds and the whole place was just really amazing. I mean, sure we didn't spend all 4 days completely in this small town of 6000 people. One day was enough for just the city. But there are so many other things to do around the city that made it so much fun. One day we visited the two small towns near Telc, which were Dacice (dochitsay) and Slavonice (Slovonitsay). We started in Slavonice which was in aspect a smaller version of Telc... but a bit different in architecture I guess. It was really pretty for a really small towna dn I really enjoyed the few hours we spent in this town. The next village, Dacice, is a world famous place. I'm sure all of you have heard of this place... no? Well, if you haven't, then surely you have heard of the sugar cube, yea? Well, this small town is boasted as the place where the first sugar cube in the world was made!!!! This is what the town is centered upon. Nevermind the fact that they have 2 castles in the city and that they have a huge park with a lake and a pretty ice center which is on a hill. Nevermind these facts. Everything is based off the sugar cube.
This picture is in a small square in the center of the city. This is a monument, I kid you not, to the first sugar cube. it stands about 6 feet tall and is a strange site to behold. It actually is guaranteed to send shivers down your spine.

Anyways, there were fun towns to visit. Then one day we rented bikes inthe square and decided to bike around, and we biked to this cool castle about 5 or 6 miles away called Rostejn (Roashtine) It was a really cool place and again lots of fun to visit and to bike there through the Czech countryside.

And... then... we came home. One cool thing about Telc is that in the square they have wireless internet! So I brought my computer and we'd go there and check out the latest necessities or find out about stuff around nearby to see or stuff like that. It was a fun trip and I'm sure that I won't forget it for a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Son said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Telc. And the sugar cube thing...I had heard that it was originally a Czech thing, but coming from the person who told me, I took it down as another Jara Cimrman kind of thing. But to have a town that glorifies a condiment... Wow.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home