Monday, August 27, 2007

The Art of Visa Acquisition

Yesterday was a fun day for me. It was like party after party after party. Well, that is... if you consider horribly long periods of sitting and being bored out of your mind maybe sleeping a bit, partying. If so, then I freakin rocked it out harder than I've ever rocked out before. Well, actually I just went through the process of obtaining my work visa for over here. Now, when I get my visa usually, I have to go to the foreign police in the city of Melnik, which is about an hour away by bus. So this is the first part of suck. Next big note is that I have always gone with someone who speaks better Czech than i do. So this was kinda my first experience at a real official formal state-type office with no one to help me but myself, so that was kinda cool, yet kinda scary, but i was happy to try.

We got to Melnik and walked up the hill to the city and went to the foreign police office. There were lots of shady Ukranians and Russians already there, so that kinda sucked cuz i was like 9th or 10th in line. (Some times theres no like and we just walk in and walk out in 5 minutes which rocks the house). And then it was finally my turn, after an hour and a half!! (I've never had to wait so long before) But wait, some stupid horrible Ukranian couple walked right past me. That kinda made me mad, but oh well, I was next and it was go time. I walked in and told the dude that I'd like to pick up my visa. He got it and made me sign some papers, and here's the kicker... He says, "Hey, you see this place for a stamp here? Yea, you're gonna need a stamp there. Fiddy bones worth. I said "Fiddy bones worth o stamps"? So anyway, I had to go buy the fiddy bone stamp and give him it and then i could get my visa.

So anyways, I got my visa and wouldn't you know it, even though i gave them new visa photos and all, they still have the same photo i had, so i have three visas with the same photo of me with long hair and a beard, so that's nice i guess. Anyways, not a big deal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peta said...

Do you know it says you have no personal identification number? No joke!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Zach Barnes said...

yea i know. cuz we don't have the same thing as in czech. we don't have family numbers, so because i have never been issued one, i can't have one, and my usa number doesn't matter

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home