Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Ride of My Life


This picture is of a simpler part of the trail :D


For years upon years upon years, it has always been some kind of fantasy to cross the gap of Kralupy-Prague, a gap of 26 km, upon my own strength. Cars and trains had been the only means of transport that I have made it from one to the other, but with a new years comes new horizons and new challenges to be met. Normally, this challenge would be impossible due to the small fact that my bike that I had from my friend's dead grandma wouldn't exactly be up to such a journey. But luckily, it seems that we have a newer, nicer bike for the time being, and when invited on such a journey, I jumped on it.

I jumped on my bike and was off in a flash. And it was starting out awesome. I was excited. To prague on my bike. Wow, what a thrill. But this thought was short-lived. I realized that i really haven't ridden a bike in a pretty long time, and a trip of 26 km was an unthinkable quest that I had never even come close to. But I was truckin along pretty well at the beginning. Yet the road got smaller and smaller, and the asphalt became less and less, and then gravel, and then nothing but dirt which was fine for the time being. Then came the forests, and the trees, and the roots. But I was able to handle that, but then the trail got narrower and narrower, and although that still wasn't a real big problem I did need to start going slower for a plethora of reasons. First, the roots were quite big and I don't have much experience of trail riding, there'd be some hills every now and then which didn't look like much traction could be had on them, thirdly, big rocks made the journey more exhilarating. Yet, probably the biggest reason that slowed me down was the fact that the trail was maybe less than a foot wide or so and to my right was the river, a dropoff directly to the river. Not really a long way down, but I could see if the spill was taken at the right place how it could be fatal. It's interesting, I'm curious how many people each year fall off into the water. It could be a pleasant surprise in some areas, but most of them, I can't see the pleasantness of it.

Anyways, I made it through the death-defying part and for the most part it was smooth sailing the rest of the way. Such a beautiful ride. great weather, great nature, lots of peace and not too many people out doing the same thing as I. It was really a fun time and I'm glad that I was finally able to get the chance. Next up is running it. I'm not sure if I'll be up for that, but don't count me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home