Monday, September 18, 2006

Hey, it's That Time of the Year... Time to Dance...

So, maybe I've mentioned it to some of you, but they have this tradition about dancing that's been carried over for over a hundred years or so. So, all of the first year high school students take formal dance lessons, and almost all of them really do it also. So last year I taught some first year students and after a few months, we were pretty friendly with each other and therefore, they invited me to their "tanecni" (dance lesson) classes. Here, they learn all the major ballroom dances. And they all have to dress in suits and bowties with white gloves and the girls in formal dresses, and if i even want to go and watch, I have to wear a suit. So, I went quite a bit last year, because it's fun to go to and watch and they really like it when i go, and i have nothing better to do on sunday evening. So it makes for a good time. And there are a few real dances where they can show off their awesome dance skills. It' fun. So I attended this event almost all year round, and the moment I stepped back into CZ, also i stepped into the tanecni dance classes. How is it possible? Simple. I also taught the 8th graders last year and this year they are first year students in high school also! And it's been fun. I already been to 3 of them this year.

Which brings me to another reason in which i am writing about. I've never one to be selected for some kind of dance-off, or a dance-a-thon. I basically can't dance at all. Not that I don't want to. I've just never had the opportunity or the chance to take part in this leisure activity. Ballroom dancing isn't really part of the pop culture scene in America, so i never thought it was necessary. But after visiting 13 different dances last year, I see more of an importance to it. But the dilemma is that I still can't dance and don't have the opportunity to learn. After going and watching and seeing the kids learn, it's made me more interested in dancing.

Which brings me to the real reason I'm wrting about. Today I sat in on the music class with some of my students today ( by the way, it's really pathetic. All they do is go to class and sing songs. That's it. Nothing else, just go and sing hip american songs), and after the class, one of my students came to me showing me a cd she had and it had all the formal dances on it (waltz, blues, cha cha, etc...) about 20 dances. And she insisted that she was going to teach me how to dance! wow! it's great! So today I had my first real dance class. And I think I'm gonna learn how to dance. Today i learned the three dances listed inthe parethetical references. I think I'll need some review, but I think I'm well on my way, and I'm kinda excited about it. So. I'm a dancer it seems to be. Cool, peace

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Zach... considering that I am very illiterate with the whole blog world, you should congratulate me on teaching myself where and how to comment on your blog. Also, I just thought I would leave you with a little tid bit that I remember of the good old days when we were best buds... it also has to do with the art of dancing. At your sisters wedding you politely asked me to dance with you and I told you I would but then I never did and I ran away. I apologize. I didn't know the amazing feeling I would have gained from dancing no matter if I knew how to or not. I have definitely gotten over the fear of dancing, and I promise to make up that dance someday. Keep dancing! Oh, also I don't know the appropriate length for comments on a blog. Sorry, I may have over done it.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home