Monday, November 26, 2007

The Cultural Difference of Mental Processing

So... interesting story, maybe not actually, but to say the least, it quite puzzled me. It all started on Saturday night when I came home. The front porch looked quite dark and I had to find my key in the pitch black darkness. No problem, I thought. I found it, went inside and found the key to my door with a little assistance from the light in the hall a ways off. I walk in and hit the lightswitch... nothing. I walk farther in and hit the other switch.. nothing. A little farther and again... nothing from that switch. Well... I guess my power's out. That's what it seemed to be. But... that's not the weird thing. The weird thing happened a bit later. Well... I saw that there were no lights so I quickly ran out into the cold to take my little pooch on a walk. We walked around for what seemed to be hours (actually it was just our normal 10 minute walk around the block). And I came back and still darkness. How was I supposed to find some light. I knew that we didn't have a flashlight or anything. What could I do? So I just used my phone to see enough to give my dog some food and that was enough I think.

But I was talking to 2 of my good friends about my problem, and the first thing that they mentioned was "You got candles?" Now... maybe this is a logical answer to my problem. But the fact was, that I did have candles but they were upstairs in my office drawer, but the fact is, is that this small fact barely even crossed my mind. I don't know if it's a difference in cultural mindsets, but I think partly it is. Of course, I think that other Americans would have thought of the whole candle charade also, but it's just interesting to me, that it's pretty much the first and only thing that they both said. Not, find the flashlight, or find the breaker and switch it, or anything like that. But... "you got candles?" Anyways, it was interesting for me. I mean... I love candles just as much as the next guy, but for me, they are only for decorative purposes and almost have not real sense for anything anymore, and when the time comes when it's necessary or could be useful, then count me out for being the one who will think of this beauty of an idea. Anyways... that's the thought of the day for me. Thanks

5 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Haha, a good, old-fashioned black out. Dude, candles are pretty much the first thing on everyone's mind. In Barbados, and in Norman, that is what we used. Might want to consider investing in a flashlight too.

Glad things are going well. And glad you're posting in November despite the lack of "interesting" topics. They're good reading to me.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Ragnar said...

Well, if you think about it, candles are cheapest way to light your path.

I remember, when lines were dead quite frequentaly (i mean ages ago), we were forced to use candles for whole nights.
Now, when most of the lines are underground and there are no trees to cut them, we stil have plenty of candles all over the house, ready to be ignited.

Mirek

12:48 PM  
Blogger Peta said...

to be honest, when our power went out (also recently)...I went like, oh no, what am I gonna do, only my cell is left?!? Well, after a minute of thinkin, the "decorative" candles (that's exactly the way I think of them too) came to my mind...

Yes, I remember when we were little we used to use candles a lot and it was actually kinda fun when the power went out ;) But see, nowadays we're all so dependent on the modern things.

Your post made me smile cuz I thought I was the only one to think this way :)

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't think that this has anything to do with cultural differences but rather with the difference between "practical" and "impractical" people. I am also one of the "impracticals". I have about fifty candles in my house, but if the lights went out I would probably just walk around in the dark waiting for the lights to go back on. Jana

1:20 AM  
Blogger Peta said...

Haha, it impresses me how famous the topic of candles is :))

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home