Monday, December 10, 2007

A Piece of Change

After tonight, and the last few days, sometimes with the conversations you have, you really, though you've been living in the place for long enough, realize the impact that the culture has on the lifestyle of its inhabitants. As I see how much Christianity plays a part of the culture and lifestyles of Americans, I've been awakened again with the impact I see on Atheism and its role and influence on the lives of the people here. Sure I've seen it time and time again, but for some reason, it seems to have been quite pronounced as of lately and I strive to compare the religious implications that both these religions (or nonreligions have you) have on the culture.

Because when I look at American culture, I see something, that something is Christianity and how it has overpowered our culture. Everyone is a Christian, and if they aren't, then they still are, but maybe they don't want to be. To me this sounds ridiculous, but when you look at every single other modern culture in the world, it's similar (not in the Christian aspect, but in their own prominent religious aspect). For example, here, with Atheism.

Here is a pronounced and declared Atheistic state. Ask anyone (anyone that has eyes) and it's obvious. Sure there are several that desire this, perhaps even a majority, but I've seen, personally, that although there's a majority, there is a big part of that majority that question their own atheism. They're sad because they know it's the way they have to go, but they wish and even hope that there is something different out there.

Now... it's true that this isn't true for most of them. Most of them don't care about the opinions of others, but even moreso than in the US, people are interested in what you have to believe, and that's just a straight fact. In the US, missionaries are dedicated to "initiative evangelism" but here, even if you don't try to do even indirect evangelism, it comes to you, people want to know of other possibilities. Some people don't, but it's undeniable that many people do. With 1% of the world being Atheists, Czech are in the minority and that's the fact. 99% of the world believe in something, and with that astounding percentage, the number seems to be rising.

Here's the facts as I see it, and that's all I got to say about that. Maybe some of you Czechs don't agree with the statements I've said. Maybe it's not true for you, and you think otherwise for the majority as I've spoken, and if so, I would still disagree with you and say that people are interested in what's out there, and that's just a fact. Our minds are meant to think of abstract things to not be able to see the extent of those abstract things. It's not a matter of opinion, it's just how it is. If you care to discuss, I'm always willing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ragnar said...

I personally think, that religion is nothing for modern people. I find belive in God (or any other higher beings) just a "miracle explanation".
I rally can`t understand, why to belive in something, that doesn`t exist.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post Zach. It is interesting to hear the differences between two cultures. I think that many people in the US adopt a cultural identity of being christian without knowing what that means, thereby weakening what some people find a kind of moral, decision-making compass, something to live their life by. The link between culture and religion is very strong in the world although I don't think it has to be because people don't have to think exactly alike even if they were raised in the same place.

I think the personal experience people have with God widely influences how they think about God, no matter what culture. I also think it is the most important thing you can know about a person, what they think about God.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Eso said...

It seems like if you think that spirituality is equal to religion and religion is equal to Christianity with one allmighty God.

Well, it isn't.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Zach Barnes said...

Hm... :) thanks Eso... you really know how to brighten my day :) You know I'm not really 100 percent confident I know what you actually mean. For one... I never expressed that I believe Christianity is the only religion, and 2, I never expressed that I feel that spirituality is equal to religion. For me, I believe the exact opposite of both of those. I would like to hear what your thoughts are though...

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home